Monday, June 7, 2010

Cobblestone

The Green Room meeting of the Cobblestone Project last night was very heart-warming and enlightening.
Hearts touching hearts would be the appropriate theme.
Some young ladies shared their stories about handing out bags to people they didn't know but cared to share.
They were anxious to seek guidance.
Just out of the goodness of their sweet hearts they've been dispensing good will bags to people in need.
Sometimes just one person caring can make one's self-esteem rise astronomically.
Because when you're down and out, you lose your self-worthiness.
And when someone shows they care it makes you feel like a person of genuine worthiness.
I remember when I just started this job I would go to McDonald's for breakfast.
There was a man with a slew of plastic bags with all of his belongs.
I asked him if he would like a sausage biscuit.
That kindly gesture perked him up.
Just showing someone you care can not only make your day but make him feel like the world isn't against him if he has one friend in the world.
I was asked to relate my story succinctly.
So I related how the Cobblestone Project and its caring and sharing hearts transformed my life.
I don't know where I'd be if the love displayed by the men I met at the Homelessness Awareness Rally hadn't adopted me as a friend.
I went from sleeping in a tent to an apartment manager.
I'm a true renaissance man thanks to the altruistic souls who dream big dreams and make them become participants in the missing support groups which is lacking in the lives of those hard luck victims who just fight for survival.
Thanks to all of those who've helped me.

1 comment:

  1. David you have done so many good things through the years to mankind that I am so behind that my life span will never catchup with the good will you have done.My life on earth is but a span and so I'll do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete