Saturday, June 5, 2010

Death of a legend

Who was the greatest coach in history?
That's a no brainer.
John Wooden. The Wizard of Westwood.
Here's some pearls of wisdom from Wooden:
"Talent is God-given; be humble.
Fame is man-given; be grateful.
Conceit is self-given; be careful."
"Make each day your masterpiece."
"Be quick, but don't hurry."
Humility is my chief and ever-lasting trait which I want to be remembered for. I was humbled by God during my homelessness period.
I spent time incarcerated for something I didn't do and I asked God for forgiveness for whatever I'd ever done to deserve this fate.
I made a pact that I would serve the Lord to the best of my ability with humility.
Fame is fleeting but be grateful every day for waking up and having the challenges of whatever to face and overcome.
Conceit will get you nowhere. That's a false sense of overconfidence.
Make each day better than the last one.
Hurry up and wait is one of my favorite sayings.
Because we're all in a hurry in our helter-skelter, fast-paced society.
But patience is next to Godliness.
No matter what the situation, patience will be a virtue you will learn to appreciate as you gracefully adapt to life's challenges.
John Wooden was the greatest coach because he was such a wise man who lived life with dignity, style and philosophical wisdom.
He lived 99 years just like my grandfather.
I treasure the memories I enjoyed at William A. Lanier's residence in Conway.
Likewise I admire and respect John Wooden's brilliant career and life.
God bless John Wooden. He's now back with his lovely wife who he so missed.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful word of life. David your penmanship is still always amazing to me. I love the way you still write and the words that come from your heat. John Wooden was the greatest coach in my lifetime. I can't speak before that, however, I know every era has their great ones. Knute Rockne was one of my favorites as well. I am very proud to at one time had the opportunity to be asked to play for John Wooden. It was another time in my life that I made a wrong decision. It amazes me how some decisions you make can have such an impact on the direction of your life long journeys.

    ReplyDelete