Saturday, June 19, 2010

Free Agents?!

While watching the boob tube I ruminated about the term free agent.
When I was a young lad and an avid St. Louis Cardinals fan I felt chagrin when the Cardinals traded Curt Flood.
He reneged and took his case all the way to the Supreme Court.
He rebelled about being traded and declared that he was not a slave.
His case opened up the Pandora's box.
In my heyday of baseball fandom players belonged loyal to their home team.
They didn't pander themselves to the highest bidder.
So free agency is an oxymoron.
No one is free.
You pay big bucks to watch them play.
We used to attend St. Louis Cardinals baseball games and the ticket price was affordable.
I remember when I went to see the Fabulous Thunderbirds, ZZ Top and the Rolling Stones in the Cotton Bowl and we only paid $25 for the tickets.
Oh, the good ole days.
Where did they go?

No comments:

Post a Comment