Sunday, November 1, 2009

Saints

Today was All Saints Sunday.
At Wiggins Methodist Church the minister solemnly read the names of those Saints who had gone to their heavenly home the past year.
They rang a bell for each Saint.
That reminded me of when I gave a eulogy at my mother's funeral and said, "My mother wasn't a Roman Catholic but I would nominate her for sainthood."
When my father was being eulogized by four different ministers (plus me) one of them mentioned about him being a saint.
I ain't no saint.
But I also remember winning an award for a headline I wrote when the New Orleans Saints were coached by Jim Mora.
My prize-winning headline, "The Saints Ain't Aints No Mora."
Memories of Saints can be categorized metaphorically (as religious saints) and as sports-related Saints.
I also remember when the New Orleans Saints played their first game back in the Super Bowl and Bono and Greenday sang a tribute song paraphrasing "The House of the Rising Sun."
"There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Superdome."
I've been there once.
When Arkansas played Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and I had to cover the Alabama dressing room after they'd trounced the Razorbacks and capture the national championship.
I couldn't understand a word Bear Bryant said. He sounded like a bullfrog.
What a plethora of memories!
Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment