Thursday, March 25, 2010

myway

Frank Sinatra crooned I did it my way.
My way may not be as circumspect as it needs to be.
But I've always been a trusting soul.
A friend of mine told me once, "David, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about you."
The first tenant who opted to move in here told me her boy friend opined as they left after our initial visit, "Now, that's a nice guy."
She said they'd toured numerous apartment complexes and opted for ours.
I don't know if that means they were infatuated with the scenario we represented or were just tired of touring.
Yesterday I showed an apartment to a young man and his friend. I firmly believe he's going to move in here. I just told him the best perk about this apartment is the washer and dryer. You don't have to spend an hour going to the laundromat and acquiring quarters to do your washing and drying.
He said, "Yeah, that's what I need to do now."
My maintenance man is starting to bond with me.
He told me he could do a lot more fix it uppers if he just had some tools.
So, that's my next goal.
Interrelationships of bonding distinguishes friendships on all levels.
I learned that while struggling to survive.
Hopefully the lessons I learned during the past few years of toils and tribulation and turmoil will make me a more discerning person as far as nurturing my kinship with tenants and fellow apartment aficionados.
I know some want me to be more business-like and suspicious of people who walk in here.
I can change my approach to handling interviews but I can't change my personality.
I am who I am.
When I gave a eulogy for my father I vowed to strive to be like him.
He was a genuine caring man who treated everyone with Christian love.
He trusted everyone.
He invoked altruistic virtues.
He believed in the Holy Spirit.
He preached love, peace and understanding.
I couldn't walk in my father's footsteps.
He wore a size 10 1/2 shoe.
I wear a size 8.
Those were giant footsteps he trodded.
As Neil Armstrong said, "That was one giant step for mankind, but one small step for a man."
Nevertheless, if I treat everyone with dignity and respect and trust and show them that I care, hopefully they'll treat me likewise, no matter the circumstances.
So far I know even some of the most untoward individuals I've met who were homeless and a little bit misunderstood became my best friends.
So I will continue to do it my way.
Or maybe I should say I will emulate Major William Maurice Lanier's way.
Nice guys finish with class.

No comments:

Post a Comment