Saturday, March 27, 2010

Butlermania

Who said white men can't jump?
Don't tell that to Butler dynamo Gordon Hayward.
Hayward converted an alley-oop slam dunk and snagged nine rebounds en route to a trip the Final Four.
Who said you can't go home again?
Butler returns to Indianapolis as part of a Fantastic Final Four appearance as the Bulldogs dispatched Kansas State Saturday.
Hayward's heroics efforts encapsulated a grand finale in the West Regionals of the NCAA March Madness.
Not many bracketeers picked Butler to return home to their Hoosier roots and play for the national championship.
Never underestimate the human heart.
Butler toppled No. 1 seed Syracuse, 63-59, and advanced to the Final Four by turning the No. 2 seeded Kansas State Wildcats into Mildcats.
That's what makes amateur athletics so unpredictable.
Likewise my life has been very unfathomable.
Who would have predicted I would be sleeping in a tent one night and training to be an apartment manager the next day?
I've never found a four-leaf clover and I don't have any Irish blood in me, but my favorite holiday is St. Patrick's Day.
So, I'm rooting for Butler to win the national championship.
This will mark the anniversary of me acquiring my nickname Big Al.
When Al McGuire coached Marquette to the national championship I rooted for him and the next day a friend started calling me Big Al.
Big Al hopes for another miraculous occurrence.
I just hope I can afford a TV set next week so I can watch it live rather than on a Hewlett Packard.

No comments:

Post a Comment