Friday, May 14, 2010

Charlatan

The phrase a fox in sheep's clothing has new meaning for yours truly.
I'm a nice guy and whenever I meet someone who I can help I try and go the extra mile.
Once upon a time I met a man who was very sheepish.
He befriended me.
He let me stay in his room and went out and bought Papa John's pizza.
Everything was cool in jazz land to quote Ricky Lee Jones.
Then when I tried to repossess my stuff he wouldn't answer his door.
Then I saw him at the Union Station at the UofA and he had my bag and he was headed to do his laundry.
He said my stuff was in a garbage bag in his room.
I went to retrieve my stuff and found it in a dumpster.
I saw him again in a watering hole in Rogers and befriended him and told him this was reciprocal altruism.
That psychological term applies when you help someone out of the goodness of your heart and it will come back to you someday.
Alas, a fox in sheep's clothing does not qualify for reciprocal altruism.
That's a pejorative evaluation even Sigmund Freud would find complex.
A former friend hoodwinked me and now I'm filing a disposition on him.
I left a criminal trespassing notice on his former abode.
He skipped out on me and twice promised to pay rent.
Alas, he's absconded and living in another domicile in Rogers.
Luckily a friend of his came by to retrieve $60 owed him by the scalawag.
So, nice guys no more for me and this charlatan.
All's well that ends swell.
Live and grimace.
Do the right thing.
Don't burn bridges with landlords.

No comments:

Post a Comment