Saturday, April 10, 2010

Kinship

Just when you thought you were sinking because three people hadn't paid their rent, voila, they appear and the books are cleared of indebtedness.
Alas, the books aren't crystal clear.
Due to an oversight, there's red in the books.
So, we scoured and devoured and finally found a glitch in our bookkeeping.
But, in between the misery of worrying about not paying tenants and their delightful paying the late fees, intervened a friend who took me out to lunch.
He desired to give me a "housewarming" gift.
So, he bought me a microwave.
As we sat devoutly sharing experiences in life, a lady approached me and asked me if I was going to buy that Emerson microwave.
I politely said that was my new prized possession.
She castigated the purchase by remarking that it didn't have enough power.
Well, I guess I'll figure that out when I put it to use.
In the grand scheme of things, material possessions don't exacerbate spiritual kinship.
When I was down but not out, I didn't have a safe haven to sleep.
I didn't care a hillbilly hoot about watching television.
I could care less about microwaving popcorn.
I wasn't very alert to my laundry, except when I felt like I needed to wear a clean shirt and pants to church at Wiggins on a Sunday.
But I always seemed to have friends.
Christian compadres.
God was always with me.
He comforted me.
He saved me.
Now tomorrow when I enter into the realm of immersion I will reminisce about when Jesus went down and under with the spiritual cleansing from John the Baptist, I too will come up and celebrate a new beginning.
God, please help me to reemerge as a spiritual renaissance man.
Help me to help the less fortunate.
I have a gentleman sleeping on my couch who otherwise would be sleeping in the woods or at the Salvation Army.
So, I hope he understands I do care about him and I want him to be transformed.
Kinship is the sainthood of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment